Pages

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Inspiring poems, the highwayman

Hello Bookworms!
Alright, so for some reason I have poems on the mind. I just can't stop thinking about them! So, I am doing a blog post on 'The Highwayman'. I'm pretty sure you all have read it, and if you haven't I'm sure that you have at least heard of it. But, I could be mistaken, (as I usually am) and maybe none of you have heard of it. If you haven't, it's by Alfred Noyes, (apparently), and it's an epic dramatic tragic romance. So of course, read it! Anyway, this is my summary of the poem and its writing style and techniques.
This poem is quite dramatic, (As I have previously mentioned) and uses a lot of meta fores. The words in the opening paragraph imply a storm, which rages on as this highwayman approaches. I like this symbolism, because it's very accurate to his style of life. Constantly on the run, his life brings the army behind him and ends up destroying those he comes to care about. (A lot like the doctor, but that's a different post). The second paragraph gives us a look at his attitude. I personally see his whole manner as cocky and confident, as swash-buckling rogues are always made out to be in stories. (I make them seem like that too, it's just a writing habit). Like every epic poem, this poem is filled with exotic words and phrases. It has a jealous love which every romance seems to have, the enforcers of the law which are portrayed as the enemy of love and all teenagers, (Which I am guessing they are) and the dreaming girl ready to die for her lover. I personally loved the ending, even if it isn't altogether accurate. A part of me loves the idea that they might still be there in years to come, anxiously waiting for one another.
So, that's me rambling on about poetry again. (I know, I need to learn more about analyzing poetry!) Anyway, please let me know what you think some of the lines mean, and if there is something you want me to talk about. Habent sua fata libelli!

No comments:

Post a Comment