Pages

Friday, September 1, 2017

Shady Friday #23: Connor

Hello Bookworms and Book Dragons!

I'm writing! Again! So soon after my last post!

Well, my muse still isn't awake yet. However, I remembered that part of the advantage in taking a year off of blogging, is that when I get back, I've got a lot of material to work with.

Today I'm taking a scene from an unfinished draft of my third zombie book. I'm trying to stay vague, and not give spoilers. And frankly some of this might change. But for the moment this is what I've got, and even if I never use this, I'm really proud of this scene. So. Enjoy!

~

Conor stood in the strange wreckage, turning slowly as he surveyed the area he’d woken up in. It seemed empty enough, but he’d learned a long time ago not to trust his eyes. Grass cracked along the pavement of whatever building he was in, and his eyes followed the growing plants that crept towards the-
Glass ceiling. There was a glass roof over his head, and rain pounded down onto the impossibly sturdy structure.
“Nice, isn’t it? I can still watch the stars while being protected from the elements.”
Conor startled at the voice, turning to face the person standing, or more leaning, on the railings of whatever platform was behind him.
“It’s a pity no one realized the value of these buildings before.”
“What buildings?” Conor asked cautiously.
“Museums.” The strange Latino smiled at him, but it didn’t reach the figure’s eyes. “We’re in a museum. Wonderful place to stay. Everything’s already dead.”
The kid leapt over the rail, dropping down to the main floor and Conor took a few steps back, eyeing this strange kid as he stepped ever closer.
“Do you mean to hurt me?” The kid asked.
“What?” Conor was backed into the wall, staring at this strange man in front of him.
“Do you mean to hurt me?” The Latino repeated.
“No, of course not! Do you?” There was something very off about this….kid?
“Do you mean to hurt my friends?” Another step.
“Kid, I don’t even know who your friends are! I don’t want to hurt them!”
The kid stopped and smiled at him, this time letting it reach his eyes. NOW he looked harmless. “Great. Want some tea?”
Conor stared at him as the kid walked away. “That’s it? Sheesh, okay, thank you but no thank you. I have to go now. I have to… find something.”
“But aren’t you looking for Medusa?”
Conor stopped. “You know about Medusa?”
The strange man laughed, childish eyes and wicked smirk waiting for Conor as he turned. “Unfortunately for your presumptions, O’Conor, I’m incredibly well acquainted with the Medusa. And its virus.”
“It’s just Conor, actually.” He searched the kid’s face, and found no lie. “What do you know of the virus? I thought I was the only one?”
“You’re the only one they’ve approved who knows. I’ve actually met her. Quite the vicious creature. But the head… well, that remains to be seen.”
“I don’t understand, who are you? Why did you bring me here? Where is here, really?”
The kid just walked away. “You’re in the black zone Conor, but if you want a name to link to something,” The kid turned back to him, hand on the rails. “You’re in Chicago. And my name is Hades.”

~

Okay. Thoughts? Yeah, probably really vague. Still, it's something that sparked about 10K words during Nano, so I was really happy with it. 

Anyway, off to the books again! Let me know if there's anything you want for me to write about! 

P.S. I'm now putting labels on my Shady Fridays, because I was getting really lost when trying to find old material. 

No comments:

Post a Comment