Pages

Friday, February 14, 2014

Shady Fridays #2

Hello Bookworms!
In today's Shady Friday I am sharing a part in my book where one of the side protagonists is about to marry the antagonist, and her friend comes to try and convince her otherwise. The character is based upon Belle from Beauty and the Beast, with a bit less forward courage and a bit more gentle kindness.
~ Mariana gazed into the mirror at the foot of her bed. She smiled as she braided a lotus into her hair for good luck. The door opened behind her and she lit up with excitement.
“Hannah, I’m so glad you could make it today!” The young woman raced into the room.
“Maria, I received your message, you must be mad! You cannot possibly marry this man! He is pure evil, he will destroy you!”
“Do you not think that I know all this? I love him through all his faults though. Love does not dwell on faults, you have learned that.”
“Yes I know, however in all those tales we always read, did you ever hear of the damsel marrying the villain? No! There is a reason!”
“And there is also a chance! He loves me! He has never truly loved another before, and he has given me his heart! How can I refuse?”
“Simple, say no, like a normal, sensible girl. What chance do you think there is, that somehow, you will appease the mighty beast, and he will not ravage the earth, but accept your noble sacrifice instead? Normally the savage beast just eats the sacrifice and then devours the rest of the earth until a hero saves the day.”
“He’s not a savage beast! He is a normal human being, just like you and me, and we all make mistakes.”
“A normal human being that’s lived for ten thousand years?”
 “Alright, so he’s not strictly normal, however that’s not why I’m marrying him. I’m marrying him because he can change. He loves me, and I love him, and maybe from that one string of love which has pierced his soul, I can finally bring warmth to that heart of stone!  If he were to change, he is strong enough to change the world for good! I am willing to devote myself to this hope; even if it takes my whole life to save him.”~
I'm still working on the details, but do you have any thoughts? Also, is there a book you want me to review? There are a lot of big ones I'm working on but they take a while. Habent sua fata libelli!

No comments:

Post a Comment